Anyone who has a baby knows that there are many things that are needed on the go to ensure that the little darling is well-being at all times.
A diaper bag or a diaper backpack are a great help in order to always have everything you need at hand.
But which of the two accessories is better suited for everyday life with a baby? In this article I will compare the pros and cons of diaper bags and diaper backpacks and help you make the choice that is right for you.
Right at the beginning I will answer the most important question:
Diaper bag or diaper backpack? What is better?
My answer: Definitely the diaper backpack!
Pros and cons diaper bag
A diaper bag has the advantage that it is light and handy and therefore easy to carry. It can usually be put in other bags or on the stroller without any problems.
Another advantage is that it usually has several compartments in which you can store changing utensils, food and other things.
Diaper bags are also often quite cheap to buy.
One downside to diaper bags is that they tend to have less storage space than diaper backpacks, so they may not have enough space for all of your diaper changing needs and other items you might need when you’re out and about.
Another disadvantage is that they tend to be less comfortable to carry, as they have to be hand-held or carried over the shoulder.
Pros and cons diaper backpack
A diaper backpack has the advantage that it is easy to carry, as it is carried ergonomically on the back and the weight is better distributed. This helps to protect your back.
It is usually larger than a diaper bag and therefore offers more storage space.
Another advantage is that you have your hands free when carrying the backpack. This allows you to take better care of your baby.
Most diaper backpacks can also be easily attached to the stroller .
Diaper backpacks are also much more flexible because they can also be used as a normal backpack at any time. This means they can still be used when you no longer need a diaper backpack.
One downside to diaper backpacks is that they tend to be heavier and more bulky than diaper bags, so may not be as easy to carry if carried in the hand rather than on the back.
They are also usually a bit more expensive than simple diaper bags.
Diaper backpack recommendations
If you are looking for a new diaper backpack, then take a look at the following models.
These are the orderers at Amazon, which are updated daily.
#1 BEST SELLER
- WHAT YOU GET- A large but lightweight baby changing backpack with foldable travel changing mat, detachable pacifier holder, stroller straps and insulated pockets (baby bag size: 43.1cm x 31.7cm x 21.6cm – changing mat size: 57.1cm x 20, 3cm). Two large zipped compartments and 18 accessible large pockets accommodate most baby essentials while still looking beautifully organized and compact without being too big or too small.
- SIMPLE & THOUGHTFUL STRUCTURE – The interior of our diaper backpack/bag includes a padded laptop sleeve, mesh organizer and a variety of well-distributed pockets. Maintain the temperature of your baby bottles/snacks in the insulated pockets or easily access your keys and wallet in the parent pocket. Quickly grab a diaper from the mesh diaper organizer and the anti-theft device for storing your valuables.
- COMFORT ON THE GO – The extra-wide opening and easy-to-slide double zippers allow for quick one-handed operation. Built-in stroller straps effortlessly attach your diaper backpack to any stroller. And a portable changing mat holds everything moms and dads need to keep baby clean, dry and happy, plus a detachable multi-purpose pacifier holder for organizing pacifiers or other necessities.
OFFER#2 BEST SELLER
- What You Get – 1 large capacity diaper backpack(26×21×42cm); 1 portable and foldable changing mat (60 × 35 cm). Perfect choice to serve as a baby gift
- Functional Pockets – 23L & up to 19 useful pockets in total, including wide-opening compartment with laptop slot (fits up to 15.6″ laptop), insulated bottle pockets, wet pocket, tissue pocket, anti-theft pocket as well as some organized pockets
- PERFECT FOR TRAVEL – You can use this diaper bag as a backpack, carry it by the handle, or attach it to your stroller for hands-free use (with stroller straps). suitable for many occasions, such as hiking, picnic, shopping, travel, etc
#3 BEST SELLER
- All-in-one Design – A large capacity (size: 42 x 20 x 30cm) diaper backpack with portable changing mat, stroller straps, pacifier pocket, zippered pocket, key loop and 5 insulated pockets. Plenty of pockets (2 large compartments and 18 pockets) in the right places. It’s a breeze to pack, grab and travel. The diaper bag inside offers space for tablets and laptops up to 15 inches.
- Convenient & Hands-Free – The extra-wide opening means you can quickly get what you need in a pinch, and the smooth SBS dual-zippers allow for easy access and closure, even with one hand! You can keep your valuables safe in the anti-theft pocket. Built-in stroller straps effortlessly attach your diaper backpack to anything.
- PACIFIER HOLDER AND MOBILE CHANGING MAT – The detachable pacifier holder can hold two pacifiers for easy access. The D-shaped ring allows you to quickly and easily attach the speedy bag or other essentials such as hand sanitizer, diaper tissues, small accessories, etc.
#4 BEST SELLER
- Clever double-layer design：Double-layer black diaper backpack helps mom and dad separate food and clothes when they are out. Separate bottles from diapers, mother’s items from baby, heavy items from light ones. Also keep the dirty/clean clothes separate. Let yourself be incomparably comfortable according to your habits!
- Large Capacity: A sufficiently large compartment on the back of the diaper bag can accommodate a 15.6 inch laptop, folder, iPad or even a changing pad, can be used to isolate or store important documents.
- Thoughtful Multi-Shaped Pockets: Lots of thoughtful pockets inside and outside the diaper bag, two hidden wallets for moms and cell phones, detachable insulated bottle pocket, separate dry and wet pockets, diaper pockets, etc., all 13 scientifically distributed medium-sized pockets to store the contents of your to organize diaper backpacks.
OFFER#5 BEST SELLER
- [ROOMY] : Thanks to the many pockets and compartments, you can keep all the baby’s essentials in the right place and organize them well to put the baby bottles, change of clothes, diapers, wet wipe, etc. in different compartments
- [LARGE OPENING] : The main compartment is reinforced with metal struts, easy to access and thoughtfully divided, so all baby accessories are neatly stowed away and within easy reach. The front pocket offers additional space and practical bottle holders
- [FIRST-CLASS PROCESSING] : In recent years, our Pomelo Best team has continuously taken every customer’s feedback and improved the product quality step by step, which has increased the processing level significantly
OFFER#6 BEST SELLER
- FUNCTIONAL AND SUSTAINABLE: Zip along the entire length of the side. The material is 100% recycled polyester, collection: green label.
- LOTS OF STORAGE: If you need to take a little more with you, you can roll up the backpack and in no time at all you have additional storage space or space for long objects
- GREAT FEATURES: A wet compartment on the front, zip pocket on the back and practical accessories make it the perfect accessory for parents
OFFER#7 BEST SELLER
- Package Contents: 1 diaper backpack with changing mat (backpack size: 30 x 19.8 x 41.9 cm, volume: 25 l, weight: 0.8 kg, mat size: 58.4 x 38.1 cm). Two large zipped compartments and 16 pockets, roomy enough to hold most baby essentials and still look perfectly organized and compact. Insulated bottle pockets fit up to 22 x 17 cm (W x H).
- UPGRADE CONVENIENCE CONSTRUCTION – The interior of our diaper bag backpack includes a padded laptop sleeve, mesh pocket organizers, and other organizational essentials. Maintain the temperature of your baby bottles in the insulated pockets, never lose your keys and wallet in the mommy bag, and quickly grab a diaper from the mesh diaper organizer.
- DESIGNED FOR CONVENIENCE – Thanks to the extra wide opening, this diaper backpack lets you find essentials in a pinch easily and with two zippers for easy access and closure even with one hand. Easy-to-grip handle and ergonomic design on the back and thickly padded shoulder straps offer you comfortable carrying and strength enhancement.
#8 BEST SELLER
- What you get – A spacious, convertible backpack (size: 42 x 21 x 31 cm, 26L), an easy-wipe, foldable changing pad (size: 59 x 37 cm), integrated stroller straps and a detachable pacifier pocket. The diaper bag comes with everything you need on the go to store everything for the baby and something for you too
- Plenty of Storage Space – Well organized structure, with all kinds of useful pockets, features and extras. The BabbleRoo baby bag includes 2 main compartments, 5 insulated pockets (fits all baby bottles), a wiper pocket, a key pocket and a special multifunctional pocket with changing pad for tablets and laptops up to 15.6″. Multiple pockets with easy-slip zippers make this diaper backpack easy to access with one hand
- DURABLE AND COMFORTABLE – Our handy backpack diaper bags are made of tear-resistant waterproof fabric, strong zippers and easy-to-clean, light-colored inner lining that are built to last. Reinforced, padded shoulder straps and the padded backrest ensure that the load is evenly distributed over the shoulders and back and is therefore carried for a long time
#9 BEST SELLER
- 【All-in-one Design】 Large capacity baby bag (dimensions: 47 x 21 x 27 cm), light weight: 0.7 kg. Capacity: 23.8 liters. Has a spacious main compartment for laptops up to 15.6 inches. Lässig baby diaper backpack with 14 functional pockets in which you can neatly store your baby’s things and belongings. The smooth-running SBS double zipper facilitates access and closure, even with one hand.
- 【Convenience】 Casual baby diaper backpack the extra wide opening allows you to quickly get to the D-rings, key fobs, wet and dry compartments, concealed anti-theft pocket and a zippered opening design at the back, one of the side pockets has an opening design and much more.
- 【Portable Diaper Bag】Baby diaper backpack with a machine washable diaper pad that makes diaper changing easier on the go. The waterproof lid and the inner lining ensure that all important utensils are stowed away clearly. With its stylish appearance, it lasts long after the diaper change.
OFFER#10 BEST SELLER
- 【Large Diaper Bag Backpack】: Size: 31 x 20 x 42 cm; Volume: 25L; Weight: 700g. Large diaper bag with 13 internal and external pockets for organization options, enough for most baby essentials.
- 【Lightweight Diaper Backpack with USB Charging Port】 Antifriction Oxford fabric weighs less than 2 pounds; equipped with USB charging port and power cable for convenient charging of your mobile phone on the go.
- 【Capacious Diaper Backpack】You can get well-layered compartments to store wet and dry diapers, bottles, diaper towels separately; side pockets for baby wipes, umbrella, water bottles or more; 2 insulated pockets for 100-250ml bottles; Super easy look and easy to reach thanks to the wide open mouth and zipper on the back.
What belongs in the diaper bag or diaper backpack?
What goes in a diaper bag or diaper backpack depends, among other things, on where you are going and how long you will be away from home. On top of that, of course, the weather, season and special needs.
Nevertheless, there are some basics that belong in almost every diaper bag. This includes:
- 3 fresh diapers
- wet wipes
- wound protection cream
- change of clothes
- burp cloth
- garbage bag
- changing pad
- stuffed animal
- baby food
- Nibbles and/or fruit
- Bottles of water or tea
- Any medication needed
- Headgear depending on the season
- Possibly nursing pads
- Personal items (keys, wallet, cell phone, etc.)
Whether it’s a diaper bag or diaper backpack – both are suitable for always having all the diaper changing utensils you need with you.
However, I find a diaper backpack much more practical than a bag because I can carry it on my back and thus have both hands free.
In addition, a diaper backpack is more flexible because it can later be used as a normal backpack for all sorts of occasions.