If you travel a lot with your backpack, it is unfortunately not always possible to avoid getting caught in a heavy rain shower.
This can happen on hikes, bike tours, but also simply on the way to school or work.
If your backpack is not waterproof, there is a risk that water will get into the backpack and your items will get wet or even be damaged.
To avoid this, you should make your backpack waterproof . In this article we will discuss the possibilities for this.
Rain cover for the backpack
By far the best and quickest way to waterproof a backpack is to use a backpack rain cover.
Such a cover keeps the backpack and its contents dry and is also easy to use.
To do this, the waterproof rain cover is simply slipped over the backpack and fastened properly. Here it is important to pay attention to robust and tear-resistant material so that holes or tears do not appear so quickly if you get caught on a branch or ledge.
Good rain covers also have reflectors on the outside so that you can be seen well in the dark. You can also use backpack lighting .
Some backpacks are already sold with such a rain cover. If this is not the case with your backpack, then you can simply buy such a cover for little money. All you have to do is make sure you choose the right size for your backpack.
A cheap alternative to rain covers are robust and waterproof garbage bags, in which you can pack your backpack. However, you should make sure to fasten the garbage bags properly so that they do not fall victim to the first gust of wind.
Use waterproof packing bags
To protect the contents of your backpack from water and moisture, you can pack all items in waterproof packing bags. Even if water gets into your backpack, your things stay dry.
Such packing bags are available in different sizes, so that you can pack documents (ID cards), electronics (smartphones etc.), hygiene items, medicines, shoes, individual items of clothing and much more in them.
Even if you transport a laptop in a backpack , you can pack it in it.
Sets that come with several bags in different sizes are practical.
Such waterproof packing bags do not make your backpack waterproof, but they protect the contents from moisture.
To be on the safe side, you can use a stuff sack in combination with a rain cover. Then nothing should really happen.
- 【6 Size】Our waterproof bag with 6 different sizes: 1.5L / 2.5L / 3L / 3.5L / 5L / 8L meets all your needs to stay dry and still easy to carry
- 【Waterproof】Boat drying bags are made of 190T polyester taffeta fabric, which is waterproof and tear-resistant, with a smooth surface to prevent water seeping through the seams
- 【Easy to Use】The waterproof dry bag bag has nylon buckle. You only have to buckle them lightly to complete the seal. Strong buckle that allows you to keep your items safe and easy to receive
- 【Widely Use】Waterproof dry bag set is suitable for home, travel, backpacking, kayaking, swimming, fishing, camping, canoeing, sailing, boating, rafting, hiking, snowboarding, etc. Waterproof dry bag bag is perfect for almost everything imagine extreme adventures
- 【Easy to Carry】The waterproof bag is lightweight and can be folded into a small size for easy carrying. Drybag is good for storing cellphone, pad, card, camera or other personal items
Another option is to impregnate the backpack with a special waterproofing spray. A good waterproofing spray for backpacks is this one here at Amazon* , which can be used for textiles, leather, high-tech fabrics and synthetics with membrane fibers.
To impregnate the backpack with such a spray, you should first clean it thoroughly and check for any cracks or other damage. The backpack must be dry for waterproofing.
Then stuff the backpack with newspaper so that it is nice and plump and doesn’t crease. This way you make sure that all areas are reached with the spray.
For the actual impregnation, you should go outside in the fresh air, as the spray can irritate the respiratory tract.
Then spray the entire backpack evenly from a distance of about 30 centimeters and let it dry properly. In particular, make sure to treat all seams carefully with the spray, as seams are usually an entry point for moisture.
You can then check whether the impregnation is sufficient by letting some water run onto the surface of the material. If the water rolls off without penetrating the material, the impregnation was successful. If not, the process should be repeated
Before impregnating, however, be sure to read the instructions for the spray, as there are actually different procedures. For example, some impregnation sprays have to work for a longer time than others.
However, it is important to note that waterproofing sprays protect the backpack well from moisture and dirt, but usually cannot make it 100% waterproof.
The impregnated backpack should withstand a small rain shower without any problems, but a tour lasting several hours in heavy rain could still be problematic.
Here it is simply a matter of trying out whether the impregnation is sufficient for your purposes.
Buy a waterproof backpack
If you want to save yourself the methods presented here to make a backpack waterproof, you can simply buy a waterproof backpack.
- RELIABLE AND WATERPROOF PROTECTION: The dry bag backpack, made of strong and durable 500D PVC truck tarpaulin, features a large 35 liter / 55 liter main compartment with roll-top closure and a unique and reinforced strip that prevents water from entering during kayaking, boating – or fishing adventures gets into the top of the waterproof backpack. The roll top backpack has additional side straps to allow for a slim and compact profile.
- IPX8 WATERPROOF PHONE CASE: Waterproof backpack including underwater phone case for rugged phone protection, ideal for wet or unpredictable weather. The cell phone waterproof case fits smartphones up to 6.5 inches (measured diagonally) and all large smartphones including Apple iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone 7 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S9+, S8+ and Huawei P20 Lite.
- WATERPROOF TRAVEL BAG WITH LARGE FRONT AND INSIDE POCKET: The Dry Bag Backpack is equipped with a large, splash-proof front pocket with zip on the outside, which allows easy and quick access to small items such as keys and wallet. The Hiking Backpack has an additional pocket inside where you can store your important items safely and conveniently.
But be careful: most backpacks are water-repellent, but not waterproof. That’s an important difference.
Many waterproof backpacks are made of PVC and have a roll-top closure that is rolled up several times to close. Such a closure works better against water than many zippers.